Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Race Report: W/AV Elite Team at Madera SR

Madera Stage Race, P/1/2
11-13 April 2008
Team: Matt Beebe, Peter Cazalet, Chris Crawford, Neil Harrington, Rob MacNeill
Field: ~50

Weather: Hot and Sunny

The Webcor/Alto Velo Elite Team hit up the Madera Stage Race this past weekend. On the whole, we got some decent stage results and the team rode well together. The field was unusually stacked for the regularly low-key Madera Stage Race. There were a couple pros (Bissell, BMC) and some of the better amateurs from the district in our race of about 50 riders.

We put in solid efforts during the back-to-back time trials, but we weren't in GC contention. So, the team focused on stage placings for the following crit and road races. The team rode really well together during the crit, with all members taking an active part in following moves and staying in the action. We ended up placing 2 in the top-10 on the stage through some good teamwork. For the road race, Rob went with the long break (starting about 1 or 2 miles into the 85 mile race), which ultimately turned into the winning break. Unfortunately, Rob didn't have the endurance just yet for the all day break and came back after half distance. Neil and Peter hung tough with the pack and Neil scored a respectable 11th on the stage. We don't have GC placings--not holding our breath--but we weren't in the top-10, so it doesn't matter! Overall, it was a good weekend of racing from the Green Team. We rode some hard miles, we all stayed upright and finished, and we did some good team bonding.

Here's a stage by stage accounting from each stage's best place finisher.


Rob's reports from the Stage 1 & 2 TT's:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stage 1: Ben Hur ITT
Course: 10-mile rolling course with a 10-12 minute climb toward the end
Result: 17th for Rob, 33:32

Executive summary: got to start, warmed up, rode as fast as possible on TT bike while wearing pointy helmet, cooled down.

Longer version:
Beebe and I drove over Friday morning and got to staging with plenty of time to get the gear sorted, warm up and all that. Unlike past years, I chose to ride a full TT setup for this race against the clock with lots of rollers and an extended climb. In years past I compromised by running a road bike with clip-ons and light/aero wheels but the course has some very fast sections and most of the 30+ minutes is spent down low so I decided to give my slightly heavier but more aero setup a try. So, TT bike, disc rear, 58 mm carbon front, TT helmet, skinsuit, shoe covers, aero bottle, and all that.

My approach for the time trial was to ride steady hard on the flattish sections, attack the rollers, recover on the descents and lock it into a steady-hard rhythm on the main climb. And, of course, finish strong. That's about how it went. My pacing strategy was good for the course, though I ran into some motivational issues after getting passed by my 1-minute guy and eventual winner, James Mattis. It was a few minutes before I refocused and got back on track. Something to work on...

In the end, I put in a decent time and a personal best on the course. The competition was really tough this year though and I ended up 17th.

Stage 2: Sharon ITT
Course: 10-mile flat loop
Result: 12th for Rob, 22:53

Executive summary: same as Stage 1.


This stage was the morning after Stage 1. Our cushy 11:15 AM start time allowed us to get there early and recon the course before finishing off the warm-up on our trainers. The approach and decision process is even easier than the first TT since the course is flat and steady. Obviously a full TT setup is preferred on the course. Also, the pacing strategy is straightforward: go steady-hard the whole way and build to a strong finish, ideally crossing the line cross-eyed and near blackout :)

My race went pretty well. The pacing strategy and equipment choices were good enough for another personal best on the course, which netted me 12th for the stage. After the 2nd TT, we cooled down, fueled up, and headed to the afternoon criterium.

Neil's report from the Stage 3 Crit:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stage 3: Madera Criterium
Course: 1 mile flat 4-corner loop, 70 minutes (31 miles)
Result: 6th for Neil, 9th for Rob, pack finish for the other guys

Arriving at the criterium about an hour before race time, the radio station was proudly proclaiming that it was 95 degrees in the City of Madera. Having completed 2 stages of the 4 stage road race, the goal was to survive any major attacks and to try to get a stage a win for the Webcor/Alto Velo Mens Team.

As I pulled up to the line, not having previously finished a mass start cat 2 race, I was uneasy about how this was going to shake out. Seventy minutes of racing in the hot central valley heat, and before we even started my legs were already starting to revolt. The NCNCA officials had spent all day in the sun and they were as anxious as we were to get this rolling - we took off without incident and immediately the attacks started. The whole team was active at the front and getting in breaks for the entire race.

Looking around in the peloton all the GC contenders were in the mix so the break had little chance to stick. The race was a nice mixture of aggressiveness and mellow. It seemed like an attack would last just long enough for it to really hurt and then it would let up. At the end the peloton did not let any break get away.
With 5 laps to go I was anxious to get into a position to fight for the sprint. In the closing laps, Rob came around me and asked how I felt. I had to be honest I told him I felt good, but I lacked any "pop."

With just over two laps to go Joel Robertson starts drilling it, I react instinctively and jump on his wheel. He has a well earned reputation for his TT abilities within the peloton, so I figured his was a good wheel to follow, we passed the official's booth and they were ringing the bell. I was hoping the peloton was going to swarm. As we turned the corner, I saw that he had strung out the field. I was hoping he would have the legs to finish this off.

As we rounded corner three my legs filled with the burn of lactic acid. Into corner three Rob passed me (after some help moving up from Peter) and I jumped on his wheel. I let him know I was behind him. He picked up the pace and aggressively started to sprint for the final leadout after turn 4. There were people sprinting all over the place, as Rob slowed I passed him and sprinted in. It was good enough for sixth place. Rob doing a great lead out and not stopping, sprinted in for 9th place. The rest of the guys finished safely in the pack after riding a great race.


Neil's report from the Stage 4 Road Race:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stage 4: Daulton Road Race
Course: ~85 miles, 5 laps of flat to rolling circuit with a super rough pave section (but it's fun, especially when the race is held on the same day as Paris-Roubaix)
Result: 11th for Neil, pack for Peter, OTB but finished for Rob, BB and Chris

5:45 am comes around really quick after 3 stages in two days. Fortunately, we were across the street from an excellent diner and a Starbucks. Each team member chose their breakfast of champions (mine was a huge stack of pancakes!) for the 85 mile, 5 lap course with "rollers" and infamous pave on the backside.

Discussing strategy over eggs, hasbrowns, coffee, and pancakes while the waitress rushed us our check we sumized that a break was going to happen pretty quickly and that our team wanted to be in it. When that happened we could send someone to bridge. A pretty simple strategy, and all we needed was our legs to cooperate with our minds.

The rollout was calm - I spent most of it debating the nutritional qualities of twinkies with guys in the peloton. Joel Robertson literally rolled off the front. When he was 50 or so yards away Rob sprinted up to get in to the break. That break turned out to be *the* break. Matt had great position and started blocking immediately, I joined him and Chris and Peter joined in behind me.

Mattis immediately sent his men (and woman, Kathleen Curri Mattis) to reign in The Joel. We were getting feedback the CalGiant team let Joel dangle 45 seconds or so in front of the peloton. Coming into the back section after 2.5 laps I saw Rob had rejoined the group. He had put forth a great effort to catch the break, and I was hoping he could make it stick. Sadly, it wasn't going to be his day. As we approached the rollers I tried a break. My legs thought otherwise. The group contained only me, and I only spread out the peloton. When my "break" was caught, Bissell rider Scott Zwizanski took advantage and jammed up the hill laying out the horsepower. I was lucky not to pop as I chased to get back into someones draft

I hung in the top 1/3 of the group as we passed and the bell lap went off. In the feed zone I grabbed my last water bottle and settle into 7th (ish) position. The CalGiant team had been at the front all day controlling the pace and was not going to slow down. Small attacks were made, but nothing serious. I didn't realize there was still the attack up the road. I could have sworn I saw Joel in the peloton. I was feeling gassed from the 3 days and feeling a little bit of heat exhaustion.

On the pave- several juniors made an attempt to break - everyone took this as their chance, but no one had the legs, Chris Tucker took off on a 2.5 mile flyer (OUCH!) and we all settled back down. I was content to sit in and wait for the second of three rollers before I took off.

As we reached the top of the first hill it was 'all systems go' the entire road was filled with racers. There were no wheels to be followed everyone was in full sprinting mode. My only thoughts were "this feels like a Sunday A ride up Sandhill -- but twice as long!"

As we sprinted into the finish line after 3.5 hours of racing all you can do is do is dig deep and hope the muscle memory is there. I sprinted passed BPG for 6th place in the field sprint, which relegated my 11th overall in the road race. Happy to finish strongly in the pack I road very slowly to the parking lot where a gallon of water, some strawberries, and lots of sunburned people awaited.

No comments: