Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The MTB Files: Round 1, Fontana

Our French Canadian mountain biker turned roadie, Aroussen, is still hitting up the dirt. He recently competed at the first big national race in Fontana, CA. Below is his report.

-----------------------------------------------------------

NMBS (national mountain bike series): Southridge Park, Fontana,
California

Rider: Aroussen Laflamme
Cat: Pro
Finishing Position: 44th Of 90
Course: 5 laps: 6 miles per laps
Weather: a lot of sunshine and warm temperature, windy condition
Race statistics: 2h27 minutes, 1369 meters of climbing, Avg speed
19,4 km/H

As the first race of the season for the MTBer, Fontana offers a lot
of climbing, loose dirt and tricky descents in the sand. Most of the
best rider of Canada and USA was there for the kick-off of the season
in what was a really amazing race.

At the start line, I was thinking about my strategy, back on the
sixth rows with more than 40 angry-for-victory men behind me. My plan
was to stay calm during the start, trying to keep my energy for this
2h+ race. Anyway, we will have to run since there's two steep and
loose climb awaiting a couple of hundred meters after the start. So
no crazy moves, just anticipated the moment the peloton will stop, so
I can dismounted my bike in advance and keep my momentum. In front of
me there a target (it's always good to have a target in those kind of
race), a Giant Berry guy name Chance Noble, and the guy from Canada,
Matthew Hadley.

Bang! The start… here we go… slower than I'm use to, but I'm in the
back. I have the inside of the first corner, wich is great but I need
to defend it. No crash, we're rolling. At the first little bumps and
turns, a stall… run, run, and go like a cyclocross guy. The first
climb begins, there's too much dust, and we can't see a rock! One guy
skip is wheel, it's time to run… run to the top, jump on the bike
again and here's the second steep, loose climb. This time I'm able to
remain on the bike. Since then, the peloton is stretch on one long,
very long line.

The race continues and I'm able to take some position on the first
couple of laps, being stronger on the flat, I try to recover. The
race is constituted of 4 climbs each separated by a technical and
singled-track descent. Hopefully for the other guy, we can pass on
the climbs. Hopefully for them too, we can't really pass on the
downhill.

Everything works great, starting 48th on the first lap, to 40th on
the 3rd lap I'm on my way for a top 35. But then every hope vanished
when I've decided to take a gel… a mistake I've sworn I would never
do again when I was a beginner. But with the road racing, it appears
to works well, so I decided to give it another try. Never again, and
this time is for real. Combined to the dehydration, it caused me so
many cramps during the 2 remaining laps that I was not able to climb
hard. Fighting this cruelly painful sensation, I've continued to
fight for a couple of position, being forced to let some people go
away while the cramp stopped.

At this time I needed my target, but unfortunately is far back, or he
has stopped. At the price of some painful cramps, I decided to join a
group of two guys on a flat section leading to the last real climb.
We have worked together until the last tricky descent, and then I've
took the lead toward the finish, negotiating the chicane well I been
able to outsprint my fellows cyclist for the 44th position.

Considering that I've ride my MTBike only 3 times before the race and
that I didn't manage my energy very well, I'm pretty much happy with
the result. The race was fun, the organization perfect, the weather
very nice, so this was a fantastic experience.

Thanks to my family, and my sponsors Webcor-Alto Velo and Kona
endurance
Thanks for reading.
Aroussen Laflamme

No comments: