Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Race Report: Menlo Park Criterium

This past weekend, the team got to stay local and raced the Menlo Park crit here on the SF Bay Peninsula. The guys rode an aggressive race against some tough competition. After his late breakaway attempt was absorbed, Fabrice was able to stay in good position and get a top-5 result for the team. Rand finished just behind for 8th. Below is Fabrice's report

---------------------------------------

Menlo Park Criterium
3/8/09
Pro 1/2
4th of 100 (unofficial)
Teammates: Rand, James, Bo, Ryan Prsha, Mike Vella, William Dunham, Ted Burns, Tracy Colwell, sorry if I missed anybody

This criterium will be, for sure, the nearliest crit I will do. It takes place just 2 miles from where I live!!! While warming up on the Williams's Rollers (thanks again Keith) we grouped the team together in order to decide the tactics. The plan was to try to stay on the front of the pack, and send one guy in each escape.

After some laps with little attacks, a great move of 7 guys succeeded to increase a gap. Rand was in, So the rest of the team tried to control and to stay in the front. After mid race, the gap decreased surprisingly and the escape was caught few laps later. James and I tried some attacks but without success.

With 5 laps to go, Ryan Prsha made a great move at the perfect time. After one straightaway, a guy counter attacked, I jumped on his wheel, and we caught Ryan. There was a gap with the pack, so I decided to continue this move by taking the lead. In the process we lost Ryan and we were just two to conclude the 5 last laps. We stayed off the front for the next 3 laps but we were caught with 2 laps to go. I tried to stay on the front in order to help James for the final sprint. I kept Ben Jaques-Maynes' wheel on the last straight, on the right of the road, James decided to stay on the left. Then there was a crash just after James with 500 meters to go, he was alone on the left and he decided to launch his sprint from a long way, but without success. I had a perfect position in 4th or 5th but without enough gas to take the lead, so I finished in 4th place.

I was very satisfied about my race and about the team race, as the last week we were on the front from the beginning to the end of the race. The victory will arrive soon.

Thanks for reading
Fabrice

No comments: