Friday, May 9, 2008

Ted Beats Reigning World TT Champ!

While supporting Christine and the other Webcor women racing the World Cup in Switzerland, Ted ventured off to do a race of his own. Not only did he win from an epic breakaway, but he beat the reigning world time trial champion, Fabian Cancellera, as well as 248 other guys! Way to go Ted! Below is Ted's report from the event.

Full Results


---------------------------------------------------------
May 3, 2008
Tour de Berne "Super Race"
Field: 250
Notables: Fabian Cancellara and Steffan Wesemann

I flew into Bern, Switzerland late Friday evening (May 2nd) to watch and support the Webcor women at the Bern World Cupt. Knowing I'd have some nervous energy to expend, and wanting to stay out of everyone's way, I decided to participate in the Tour de Berne "Super Race." I knew nothing about this event except that it was the only ride/race I was allowed to participate in. For some reason, with an int'l license, they wouldn't allow me into the men's UCI event. (I later found out that this was a U23 UCI race). I think what I entered was more of a "public" race. Thus I was very surprised to see Fabian Cancellara and Steffan Wesemann get called up to the line. The course was similar to what the women would be racing the following day, but the climbs weren't quite as steep. Good thing too, as I only had an 11-23 and training wheels + pump/spare with me. On the line, Fabian was one bike away from me so I had a chance to marvel at his gargantuan quads. He's even bigger in person than in the magazines. I was determined to consider this a "ride" but judging from the number of Lightweight and carbon wheels adorning bikes, along with lots of racing jerseys on the startline, it began to look more and more like a bike race.

I have to say I was a bit nervous about this so called 'fun race' as the full race caravan, complete with Shimano support, lead motos, commissaire's cars/etc supporting us certainly made me feel special. As the fun went off, the pace was quick as everyone jockeyed for position on the narrow roads In fact, I was downright fearing for my life as people were jumping on sidewalks to move up, and obstacles in the median popped up constantly, causing riders to dive onto either side, and into the peloton. I stayed about ten riders back, and was incredulous that Cancellara was behind me. The main climb of this "race" started with a couple km of false flat, followed by a 1km pitch of 4-5%. Then the road kicked up to about 12% for a few hundred meters before rounding a bend and then descending for a couple hundred meters before the final 1/2 km of 10+%.

Having never seen the course, nor knowing what was up ahead, I went ahead and gave it some gas near what I thought was the top of the climb (there was a KoM banner), and bridged up to a guy who was about 50 meters up the road. I motioned for him to get onto my wheel and we quickly gained a gap on the peloton. Once I had some breathing room, I felt much more comfortable, and less fearful of crashing, and decided I should see how long I should last, and enjoy the lead motos, camera motorcycle, and commissaire's car following me for as long as I was able. The only issue was that I had attacked at km 5, and there were 95km left to ride.

Well it turned out that the descent varied from wide open to twisty, coupled with several nice sets of rollers. I did manage to spin out my 11t several times and get into an aero tuck. I think my breakmate and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves for the rest of lap one. I quickly realized that the person I was in the break with spoke very little English but was game to share pulls with me, albeit shorter ones. I noticed that he pushed a pretty big gear, and thought that this might come back to bite him later on in the race. (I was right). Well, by lap two of three, two things became clear:
1) the pack was nowhere in sight
2) my breakmate was rapidly tiring and sitting on more and more
3) I didn't have enough water and would have to conserve

Up the climb on the 2nd lap, my legs began to feel like deadwood. Despite that, I had to slow down slightly to keep my companion with me. He would give me about 10 seconds rest from time to time, enough to keep my legs from seizing up. All of this time he complained that he was getting tired, but I kept encouraging him to pull when he could. With the pack still nowhere to be seen and despite having a commissaire's car following, I had no idea what the time gap was.

At the start of the last lap's false flat climb, my breakmate finally told me to go on. I did manage to bump up the pace slightly and groveled to the start of the final stair step climb. I definitely could feel that I was going slower, but tried to stay on top of the pedals. I also wondering what induced me to spontaneously enter this "Super Race" having just got off the plane 14hrs before, and just thought to myself that at any second, Cancellara might come rocketing by, laughing, and that it would be embarrassing to sit up at this point. So I plodded on, as my calf and abductors started to contract into spasm. By backing off every so often, however, I was able to keep my cramping under control. It didn't help that I was out of water with 15km to go.

Just then, the comissaire's car drove up next to me and finally gave me my first time split. "You have 'twein' minut" I yelled, back, "In English please." Two minutes! I actually had two minutes on the field. I dared myself to think I might just stay off, with a fast, rolling descent and flats remaining to the finish. However, adductors and calf was in full cramping mode, and I actually had to stop and coast every so often in order to keep pedaling. Pedal I did, and with 5km left, I was told I had 'ein minut".

I decided looking back at this point would be a demoralizing so I just kept my head down. At 1km to go, I allowed myself a glance back. With the commissaire's car right behind me, I knew I might be safe. Down the finishing stretch, I had no desire to celebrate or enjoy myself as every muscle fiber in my legs was screaming in agony. I crossed the line completely cooked. I don't think I've pushed myself so far beyond my level of fitness, regardless of what type of "fun race" this was.

I must admit though, in retrospect and even during the first 70km, it was complete and total fun being on closed roads with the constraints of a race caravan replete with camera moto. Standing on the women's UCI podium (twice...as I also won the KoM award) and being handed a nice bouquet of flowers made it all worthwhile.

The only issue at the end was that my glutes were so tweaked that I couldn't physically put my leg over the bike to ride back the 2km to the hotel. I had to prop myself up holding a barricade, lay the bike flat, and raise it up beneath me. In just three days, I was back to normal. :)

As for Cancellara? He rolled in with the peloton which finished about 7 seconds behind the disgruntled looking second placed guy 23 seconds behind me.

Let's just say that I very much enjoyed WATCHING the women's race the next day.

Thanks for reading.

-Ted

Start list:
http://www.berner-rundfahrt.ch/anmeldevolk/index.php?nav=020000000E&STRECKE=Super%20Race&KAT=Herren

No comments: