Monday, August 6, 2007

Timpani Crit Report, Geezer Category

Timpani Crit, 35+ 1/2/3 (55 minutes)
Date: 5 August 2007
Teammates: Brian Peterson, Ted Burns, Brad Goodson, Bill Dunham, Paul DeBacker
Result: 3rd of ~50?

Timpani Crit is held on a 1 mile, 4-corner, clockwise, business park type course. It's pancake flat and requires little to no braking or shifting. Speeds are usually high and consistent and one can generally pedal through all the corners. The speed of the course makes it somehow more fun than most of the other 4-corner crits on the schedule.

After the whistle, I slotted into a good position near the front of the pack. For the first 15 or 20 minutes, along with the other guys, I was active in following moves but it seemed a pack sprint was inevitable so I sat in for the remainder while my teammates shared the load at the head of the pack. All the guys were effective at initiating and chasing moves and helping me stay in good position. High winds were a factor in keeping things together. That and the 27+ mph average speed--it was tough to get away and stay away.

So, into the closing laps, Brian took a big pull on the front, which helped line things out. Brad took a turn as well and Bill took a flier that had the same effect. Paul helped bring me toward the front with a couple laps to go. At that point, I looked to find a good wheel into the finish. Brian Bosch (CVC) looked like he was gearing up for the finish so I bumped the guy following him off the wheel and inserted myself. Things were looking good with about half a lap to go--the race was lined out, I was tucked in about 3rd position and the pace was fast enough to hold off any surges. That is, until Steve Palaez (Lombardi) wound up his legs and blew by us on the inside before the last turn. His momentum and fast finish easily took him to the line for the win. A few guys trying to get on his wheel sent me wide through the corner so that I lost Bosch's wheel. Riding the left gutter, I re-passed those 3-4 riders by the line but couldn't catch Bosch, so 3rd place for me.

All in all, a really solid race for the team. Thanks to my teammates for the support. Everyone contributed to the result.

I did the P/1/2 race later in the day with Bob Parker, Greg Davis, James Badia. James will follow up with the team report for that one.

-Rob

No comments: