Monday, July 9, 2007

Vacaville GP Race Report

Jamo, Rob and BB rode the Elite District Crit Championships last week and got another top ten by winning the field sprint. Below is James' report.

========================================
Race: Vacaville GP
Date: 1 July 2007
Teamates: Matt Beebe, Rob MacNeill
Placing 6th of ~100

This was my first year racing in Vacaville. The course is in the downtown area of Vacaville with lots of right and left hand corners into off camber exits, one short climb (similar to the one at Santa Cruz). After a few warm up laps on the course I was apprehensive about the short climb and how I would be able to handle the repeated accelerations up the climbs.

Rob designated this as an A-race so the plan was for Matt and I to cover the breaks in the later part of the race. Since there were only three of us and plenty of representation from the other teams we decided to let the early attacks go unless there was good representation from each team.

For the first half of the 90 min. race I was not feeling very well. After about 25 min. Matt dropped out of the race leaving it to Rob and I to represent the Green team.

It was around that time that I decided to go for a prime (after my 3 week no-prime diet). I came in 2nd place in the 2 place prime which I found out later was for a polar water bottle.

After about 45 min. into the race I started feeling stronger on the hill and made my way up through the pack toward the front. I rode in the top 25 or so for the remainder of the race with Rob in that area as well. there were multiple attacks from riders like Eric Wohlberg and others, all to be brought back by some of the larger teams. I decided it best to save the matches I had left to give Rob a leadout in the end.

With about 5 laps there was a small breakaway with about a 10 second advantage. For some reason the pack wasn't very motivated to chase. Rob started getting a little frustrated with this and made his way to the front to try and chase. He spent about a lap at the front and put in some hard efforts which caused him to spend all his matches.

Rob started going backwards and I heard the radio call from Matt that Rob was done and the only thing left was for me to give it my best in the pack sprint.

On the last lap the breakaway was caught. I was sitting in about 20th place going into the final pass up the hill. I put in a hard acceleration up the hill gaining a few spots.

Going into the corner at the bottom of the hill for the last time we were definitely going faster than all of the other passes. Some one's rear wheel started sliding and caused a few riders to crash, 5 guys were in front of this crash and broke free. Kevin Klein and I made it through the crash and kept going. I launched my sprint just after the final corner about 200 meters out and won the field sprint for 6th place.

In the end I was disappointed in myself that I wasn't able to help Rob out in some other way. He rode a very strong race and I could tell his training was paying off.

I will be back again next year for the Vacaville race. it was very well organized and a great course.

Thanks for reading
--
James

No comments: