Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Memorial Day Criterium Report

Race: SJBC Memorial Day Criterium, Pro 1/2
Place: 8th of 60ish
Date: 5.28.07
Team: James Badia, Jono Coulter, Rob MacNeill

This was my second year competing in this race. Our pre-race plan was to have all 3 of us covering breakaways and have Rob give me a leadout if it came down to a final sprint. Being a 3 person team up against the larger teams (Lombardi, Cal Giant, and Los Gatos) we decided this was the best plan.

The race stayed fast most of the time with a few occasional surges when breakaways would get away. Jono did an Awesome job covering attacks, it was the most aggressive I have seen him ride all year. I stayed near the front for the majority of the race and covered a few attacks, one of which delivered me to the line for a prime that I didn't have to work very hard for. Rob also did a large share of covering the attacks. At one point Rob was in a breakaway group that had about 4 guys in it when I covered a 3 person bridge attempt. When my group of 4 guys caught Rob's we were 8 men strong and stayed away for a few laps. Since there were 2 of us and 2 Strawberries, I think the other 4 guys decided not to work and we were caught. That is when the winning break of 6-8 riders got away. None of us were in it so Jono tried to bridge with 3 other guys.

The lap cards were winding down and the breakaway was still away with Jono's group dangling off the front. Rob and I decided to practice our leadout in the final sprint. In the final laps it was difficult to stay together with Rob so we disconnected and reconnected several times, which took some extra effort. Maintaining good position was difficult as well with surges from all sides. The pace got faster and faster and on the bell lap Rob put in a huge effort down the backside of the course and into a headwind with me right on his wheel to come around the outside toward the head of the pack. During this effort Jono's group was caught but the winning breakaway, now down to 4, was just up the road and wasn't going to be caught. Rob delivered me a little early at 100 meters before the last turn at which time I started my sprint. I was somewhere about 5th wheel in the field sprint with a decent gap ahead of me. I started to close when Andy J/Mayne crashed hard on the outside coming out of the final turn. I hit the brakes and went around AJM and started my sprint again, holding my position for 4th in the field sprint which was good for 8th overall.

The main lesson learned from this race was our positioning. Rob and I could have done a better job with our positioning and staying connected in the last few laps. It's a never ending battle that takes a lot of focus and some extra effort.

I was very pleased with how Jono, Rob, and I rode the race. I would guess that from the perspective of others in the race they would assume Webcor/AV had more than 3 riders in the race. We all rode very strong and smart and communicated well before, during and post race.

This was a very will organized day of racing and I will definitely be back next year.

Thanks to Rob and Jono for riding a solid sacrificial race.

Crit season is here and I look forward to racing the the guys from the P1/2 team. I sense a win in the near future.

Thanks for reading.
James

No comments: